Pages

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Korean Christmas

It is Christmas Eve in South Korea. Here in the office, we are currently listening to Korean Christmas music, discussing Christmas plans, and preparing for our last day of classes before the Holiday. My Christmas Eve plans will consist of going out to eat at a place that serves eel (I'll let ya know how that goes) and attend the Midnight Mass at the Catholic church in Jinju.

This week we put up a Christmas tree at the school.  My Korean co-workers loved decorating. For some, it was the first time they ever decorated a Christmas tree. Dad told me I must have a Christmas tree, so I figured this one would suffice.
They made me put the star and lights on cause I'm the only one who could reach the top.
Some of the teachers (from left to right) Esther, Stella, me, and our receptionist Shirley

Dad also said I needed a Nativity Scene. This is what a 4 year degree from a private university does for your creativity. My coworker, Seu thought this was the cutest thing she's ever seen. She made me hang it in the office next to her desk.

It's funny coming to this country and being bombarded with compliments. Koreans love to tell you that you look like a movie star and you are absolutely beautiful.... after hearing this enough times, you start to believe them. My coworker, Seu drives me home after work every night. Just last night I was thanking her for being so nice to me. Her response was, "Well, it's because you are so beautiful. I want to be nice". She proceeds to tell me how envious she is that I'm tall and blond and thin. She doesn't believe me when I tell her I don't have a boyfriend, "You're too pretty not to have a handsome and rich man, Grace". She informs me that she knows a man in Seoul that I should meet, but she doesn't like the men in Jinju so she won't introduce me to any here. I had to refrain from laughing during this conversation because Seu was so sincere about everything she said. Oh these Koreans, they make you feel so good about yourself!

Another funny occurence you notice in this country is the horrible English grammar present. See, a lot of things are in English here- Western influences have a lot to do with this. However, most Koreans don't speak the language so when an advertisment, sign, caption, or description is in English they have no idea what it says. And for those who do read English, grammatical errors aren't readily caught.
For example, I went to a restaurant called Beans Farm- they make an attempt at serving an American style breakfast (*side note- if you were to ask me the one meal I miss most, it would be Mom and Dad's Sunday morning breakfast*). Well, the restaurant's slogan is "you also said to me that 'I love you' ". Okay, I'm not even sure why this is their slogan in the first place. It's just another one of those things you shrug off. But I'm sitting at breakfast enjoying a waffle and laughing with my friend over the horrible grammar that is staring us in the face. It's these types of things that add humor to my Korean experience.

                                   

The following is for Grandpa, Dad, and all you Michigan apple farmers:
I purchased my first bag of apples this week! 5 apples in a bag cost me 3,500 won (close to $3.50). It's generally cheaper to buy fruit from a street vendor but I plunged into my apple purchase through the grocery store near my apartment. No bruising to report and the overall quality was high. However, and please don't judge me for this, I'm not sure what variety of apple I bought *insert gasp* !
I think it's a Fuji, it tastes simlar to it anyways. Man, I need to practice my Korean more so I can understand the words on that bag.

Maybe my fellow apple farmers can tell me the variety based on its look. Any guesses?



That is all for today. I wish everyone a most blessed Christmas season. I love and miss everyone back home, especially my family. Stay warm and enjoy the Holiday. As the Brits say it, HAPPY CHRISTMAS!

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Grace! I love you and miss you very much!
    p.s. I think its a Gala :)
    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks Like a Gala as well... Merry Christmas Grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that apple well (in my past Asia travels) and it looks like a Fuji apple!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...too round for a Gala, but both look similar in color though. But my last Alvin orchard tour, I may have been too inebriated to remember

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.