Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2012

Itaewon Pies

Itaewon. The let's-get-foreign-food-because-I-don't-want-caramelized-squid-and-tofu-until-I-have-to-which-will-probably-be-Monday-at-school neighborhood. Well, that and so much more.
Itaewon really is the melting pot neighborhood of ethnicity in Seoul.
You want Poutine (Canandian), Boerewors (South African), or a Kebab (Turkish) then Itaewon is your place. You can find everything.
Seriously. Everything.
And not just food- except that's all I'm going to talk about because, well, I love food.

So, as I walked down the streets of Itaewon with a full belly of Jordanian food and American beers I noticed this quaint dessert store.


How cute.
Oh, look they sell pies. Mmmmm pies (remember, pies don't exist in this country because ovens don't exist). To see a real pie, well, let's just say I started salivating. Like Pavlov's dog.
I wanted to march right in and devour one, until I saw the price....

7,000 won (7-ish bucks) for this pie. Seriously?


And 42,000 won (42-ish bucks) for this?


I thought of my mom. She makes pies just for fun every Saturday. She could make a killing in Itaewon.
Are you reading this, Mom? A killing!

I would never pay 7 bucks for this tiny apple pie. But then again, 7 bucks isn't that much....
Wait. Yes it is!

Just hold out, Grace. A few more months and you can have all the pies you want.
Oh, but they look so good. What's a pie-loving girl to do in this country?


1 comment:

  1. Ah, those pies do look good, but the pies from home will be so much more tasty. Can't wait to make up a few just for you.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.