Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

To the New Year


Mitchell reminded me that an update is needed so here I am.

My life in Korea has been an adventurous one. I continue to enjoy everyday. Now that the Holidays are over the homesickness has diminished. I am so thankful for Skype- I was able to see my family and partake in the Kelly Christmas. Seeing friends and family with their emotive faces makes the communication personable and memorable.

For the new year our boss treated the employees to samgyeopsal (pork meal). A cook-your-own-meat restaurant and as Korean tradition would have it, gracious servings of pork, kimchi, beer, and Soju were involved. Being it rude to say no (especially to an elder)- you must accept any offering, so needless to say my evening was full of Soju shots. Afterwards we headed to a Nori bong (private kareoke room) where we sang and sang and sang.
In Korea, if you are out drinking at night it is commonly accepted for you to come to work late the next day. Since I go into work at 1pm I figured I didn't need to come in any later... but it's nice to know that it's a welcomed excuse. 


My co-workers at the nori bong: Shirley, Stella, Jenny, and Esther

Just out drinking with the boss...

I must say, Koreans have their desserts down pat. Baked goods drizzled in chocolate, waffles topped with icecream, even their coffee drinks are sweet and delicious. My favorite though, is a hoduk- a sweet ricecake filled with a brownsugar mix and cooked in butter. It would remind you of a filled pancake. It has become my guilty pleasure.


This man knows what I want when I walk up to the roadside stand- hoduk jusayo
New Years Eve isn't a big deal for most Koreans because they celebrate the New Year based on the lunar calendar (more on that later). I worked till 6pm on NYE and then went out to dinner at an overpriced pasta restaurant and then to a bar downtown for a friend's birthday/ the New Years celebration. The bars in Korea don't close at a specific time, like they do back in the States, so it was a celebration that lasted till 5am.

Bartender playing with fire

Tony, London John, Diego

Bryan, Joe, and me

the girls

Claire and Diego

celebrating the New Year

1 comment:

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.