Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

The slopes of South Korea

Came back from a weekend of snowboarding with some bruises on my knee and a sore bum, but I must say it was a fantastic getaway weekend.

Eight of us made our way to Muju- hour or so North of Jinju- and ventured onto the slopes of Korea. With -11 degree (C) during the day and dropping to -18 at night, it was a frigid experience but one that was all too worth it.

South Koreans love their skiing. Much like any sport or activity in this country, if a Korean is to attempt it they better dress the part. Adults, teenagers, small children, even babies are dressed in the latest colorful skiing/snowboarding gear. While boarding down the mountains I kept thinking how I could be anywhere in the world. The snow is blanketing the mountains, the air is frigid and fresh, and the people could be of any race, nationality, or ethnicity as you carve (or attempt to carve) down the mountains. It isn't until you wait in ski lift lines or enter the massive eating area that you are knocked back into the language and smell of Korea.



It was so cold, snowflakes froze to my eyelashes
Boarders and skiers everywhere. But the scenery was worth it.

Claire's typical position on the first day.


I can now say I've snowboarded in South Korea. BOOP!

2 comments:

  1. Grace, It looks like fun but cold. What beautiful scenery. How's your Korean language coming?

    ReplyDelete
  2. those mountain pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.