Pages

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How do you say "syrup" in Korean?

As my mother suggested, I will now show you around my grocery story in Jinju, South Korea.
I am lucky enough to live only a few bus stops from an E-Mart... think of it as an upscale Wal-Mart.

My E-Mart has 3 floors. The top floor provides me with electronics, pet hamsters and household cleaning and cooking products. The ground floor offers me clothing, children games and makeup. The basement floor is the best. Here we have the food.

Bag of apples for about $6.00

bags of dried seaweed

Korean pancake batter

spices

Cereal.

Cookies.

Milk. It always smells sour.

Cheese. Korean cheese isn't very tasty and very expensive. I can buy a block of American cheddar cheese for $30.00

Beer. Western and Korean brands. See the Bud?


I can get a Heineken keg for $50.00
Some of the wine available- it's all imported. Korea doesn't make Western style wine.

This is Korea's wine. It's called Makali, a rice wine.

Some fish options. I don't buy fish- mainly because I don't know how to cook fish without a grill. My meat intake is chicken, beef and pork.


 Like any grocery story, you have your Organic Section:





4-pack organic apples for over $10.00


You can choose your live crabs, put them in a plastic bag, and take them home:





Bags of rice.

The check out. If you're not aggressive Koreans will have no problem cutting in front of you. They have no patience for waiting in lines.

What E-Mart isn't complete without a McDonald's?

The menu in Korea is the same as home except for the Bulgogi Burger- a meat sandwich with sweet sauce.

Most grocery stores have elevators and escalators for multi-floors.
The shopping carts have special wheels that will embed into the track so the carts can't move.


Fun Fact:
Many Koreans buy their groceries online. It's a very popular process, especially since it's offered with free delivery!

And in response to the titled question syrup in Korean is 시럽 pronounced see-lup


Until next time, 
Annayguh-sae-yo

1 comment:

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.