Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

A Day for the Kids


On May 5th, South Korea celebrates Children's Day.

It's a rather significant holiday because so much emphasis is placed onto children here. Usually parents give gifts and treat their kids to an outing at an amusement park or to a picnic.

At school, children participate in games and contests. Our school had gym day; the students took part in jump rope competitions and races.







Cities decorate the streets with colorful lanterns.




And many neighborhoods host events and festivals for families.


I stumbled upon an event taking place in Seoul raising money for international children. There was a large pool where kids were encouraged to throw their coins into.






Seoul was also hosting an International Friendship Fair. 
Numerous countries were represented selling authentic cuisines and beverages.




chicken skewers from Afghanistan


My friend, Kelli is currently living in Peru so I tried some Peruvian food.

I can't remember what it was called, but it was a fried pocket filled with potato and corn. Kelli, have you had this??

My other friend, Erica is currently living in Brazil. Sadly, I was too early for a food tasting. I wish I could have tried something tasty for you, Erica.



So in celebration of the kids, this is for all you young at heart adults--

"Remember: Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.