Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

School lunch.

Every work day at 11:50am two foreigners and a Korean from the English department head down two flights of stairs to the cafeteria. We call it "our favorite part of the day"!

I am so impressed with school lunches in Korea.
They are versatile, well-balanced and healthy.... not to mention pretty tasty, as well.

Korean survival skill- don't be a picky eater. Try everything. If you don't like it, try it again!

Here is a typical week of Saemal cafeteria food:



Monday
Seaweed soup is actually pretty good. Except today they had minuscule shrimp (with they shell still intact) added in, which kind of tasted like you were eating bugs.

Blood sausage. What an interesting name. It's actually the worst thing I've ever tasted... I loathe the stuff. Blood sausage isn't even sausage. It's noodles encased to look like sausage and then cooked in cow blood. If you think it sounds terrible, well you're right. It is.



Tuesday

The soup is called Sa-long-tong. It's one of my favorite dishes. It's really filling because of the rice noodles.



Wednesday

Caramelize anchovies are surprisingly tasty.
So. Much. Rice.

.


Thursday

The students love fried chicken. They kept going up for seconds. Ok, I'm not going to lie... so did I.




Friday

Seaweed becomes an acquired taste, and very quickly because it's in almost every soup.

Did you notice the different kinds of kimchi?




Students eat free. I pay 2,000 won a day (less than $2.00) for these meals. Pretty nice, eh?

1 comment:

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.