Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

My Daily Bread

Dan asked me what I eat on a daily basis. At home, I cook a lot of eggs, pasta, tuna sandwiches and mashed potatoes. But my Korean food intake is far more interesting.

At school I eat with my kids. The staple foods are rice, kimchi, soup, meat/fish, veggie. A very normal school lunch:
It isn't Mom's cooking, but I got used to it, and enjoy it now.

Today they served soup with octopus pieces and onions in a broth. Frankly, it looked disgusting. But my kids didn't complain or fuss when I served it, in fact they asked for seconds. I couldn't help but think how 5 years old kids back home would turn up their noses in disgust. How early in age we are conditioned to what foods are appealing and what aren't.

A trip to the grocery store will bring you to new discoveries such as the following:



Squid samples

Dried squid


Dried anchovies for the taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.