Pages

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Life as a hogwan (private school) teacher is not necessarily the hardest job one could have; but like any job it has its ups and downs. I try not to talk about the negatives of this job, because when I look back at this blog, I want to remember only the good.
And really the downs aren't that bad... less vacation days, over concerned parents, poor managers, a language barrier...
But the kids make up for all those downs. Some can be just horrible- but the ones who give you candy, peek their head into your office to say hi, those who embrace you with hugs, and the kindergartner who likes to plant a kiss on your hand makes the job you have worth it.

My favorite question from a student was, "Teacher, why do you have yellow hair? Is it because you're from America?" -Apparently, every one in the States has "yellow" hair.

A perk at work is receiving gifts from parents. This past week I was given Channel lipstick from one of my kindergartner's mom.
She came to pick up her child a few days later and introduced herself. She said, "Oh you're the Grace that I hear so much about. My son just loves you". I'm thinking... wow, I can't believe your child likes me, since he's one of the terrors in my class....

On Friday my director came in and told me that I should never stop working for him. "The parents love you, the student love you, your co-teachers love you. You should just stay forever." Well... triple my pay and give me a month vacation each year and we might have a deal.

I'm not trying to sound conceited, it's just nice to hear praise for the hard work I've put in :)

1 comment:

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.