Pages

Friday, November 26, 2010

I'm here, Jinju!

I arrived in South Korea with 2 suitcases (both under 50 pounds, thank you), a backpack and a hightened awareness that the next year of my life will be unlike any other.

Jinju is a small city on the southern end of Korea. It is a city of lights, friendly souls, parks, cofffee shops, and street vendors. I think I'm in love.

My apartment is small but comfortable. After the Michigan map, pictures of the family, Chicago crazies, and friends went up I instantly felt at home. I live a half a mile from my school, Jinju SLP. It's a new English language school. The interior is modern, friendly and impressive. I officially start teaching on Monday.

The language barrier has been difficult. There is a church nearby that hosts Korean language classes on Sunday nights, I'll be checking that out. I haven't met many foreigners as of yet. I know those English-speakers are out there somewhere.... I'm thankful for my fellow co-worker Rob. We've been able to tour the city, check out restaurants and discuss (in English) our expectations. Our other co-worker, Sue speaks broken English and has been helping us with the cell phone process and setting up wirless for our apartments. She went to MSU for a year and we bonded over our admiration of Michigan. Sue and one of the receptionists, Shelly took us to E-Mart last night. Imagine a Target, but in Korea. I tried some delicious, and some not so delicious, foods. We laughed together at my adventurous food intake. I asked the girls to show me their favorite Korean snacks, meals, pastries, and chocolates and am proud to say that I now have a pantry full of Korean cuisine.

I will begin posting pictures as soon as I find an electrical adaptor to charge my computer.

There are so many things to write about. But for now, this will do.
I hope everyone had a blessed Thanksgiving. Mine was spent laughing over spicy fish with some amazing Korean friends.

P.S. For Laura: I am 14 hours ahead of you. I'm living in the future, sis!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah first to comment on your blog! Glad to hear you made it safely, hope your first day on Monday goes well.

    I spent 10 days in Costa Rica, Only 2 of which were spent with a home stay family, and I thought it was a life changing experience... I'm very jealous of your opportunity here. I still want Shae and I to come visit but I don't know if we can collectively afford $3,000 in flight fees alone.

    Enjoy your time there and post often!

    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog! Enjoy all the different things to eat. I'm still having problems getting my mind straight on the time difference. I guess it's already Sunday there. Enjoy yourself and make lots of new friends.

    Aunt Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Grace! I expect daily updates :)
    I'm glad to hear you're adapting so nicely. I had no doubts about you, not with your adventurous spirit! Good luck tomorrow!

    Coworker Laura :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy. Feel free to brighten my day.